That time of the month can really bring on those sugar and chocolate cravings and it’s so easy to grab junky food items that just end up making us feel worse and not to mention messing with our fitness goals.
When the cravings are unbearable I have 2 little tricks
1. Increase Magnesium
Ever wonder why you crave chocolate before your period? It’s because your body is craving for magnesium. Dark chocolate (80% plus cocoa) has more magnesium than any other food. Magnesium levels fluctuate during a woman’s cycle. The higher the estrogen or progesterone, the lower the magnesium. During the second half of the menstrual cycle, when both estrogen and progesterone are elevated, magnesium plummets big time.
I usually take 400 mg of magnesium per night but around “that time of the month” I will increase the amount to 600 mg or indulge in some dark chocolate… just like the recipe below.
2. Make My Famous Chocolate-Peppermint Fudge Bites
Satisfy and help PMS cravings and symptoms with this recipe. It’s the perfect sweetness and oooey gooey chocolatiness…
…and completely guilt-free.
Here’s What You’ll Need
- 2 1/2 cups of chocolate chips. Dark cocoa nibs (80% or above). If you want dairy-free you can go with Vegan chocolate chips
- 1/4 canned coconut milk
- 1/4 raw honey
- A pinch of sea salt to taste
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts – I have also added in 1 tbsp of Smile Cocoa Wholefood Blends in substitution for the walnuts.
- Add chocolate chips, coconut milk, honey, sea salt, stir in a sauce pan on medium-low heat.
- Stir continuously to avoid chocolate from burning
- When everything is combined and melted, remove from the heat and add peppermint extra and walnuts or whole food blends
- Let cool to room temperature. 3-5 hours.
- Once cooled, stir forcefully unit it loses the glossiness.
- Coat a non-stick pan with coconut oil and pour the mixture in. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours until firm.
- Cut into 30 pieces. For more delicious healthy recipes like this click here -> http://bit.ly/guilt-free-recipes
- 1 serving is 80 calories
- Protein – 1 G
- Carbs – 9 g
- Fat – 4 g
- Fibre – 1 g
Try them out!
For more delicious recipe hacks download my 100 (plus) guilt-free and delicious recipes – GIVE ME THE RECIPES!