With Thanksgiving upon us, I thought it would be a great time to offer my some Thanksgiving Tips if you happen to be “on plan”.
First and foremost, make sure your week is spot on with your diet and training followed by committing to get right back on plan after the weekend is over.
Typically I would categorize Thanksgiving in the same manner as I do Christmas and Birthdays – enjoy yourself in the company of friends, family, and loved ones without even mentioning dieting. These holidays are rare opportunities for laughter, love, and company…and lots of football!
Because I celebrate a lot of holidays with my 2 families and many dear friends which usually falls close to some fitness projects that I’m booked on, I use an 11 tip strategy to help me navigate through these events without feeling restricted or limiting the fun I have with the company around me.
1) Portion what you can control. If you’re serving yourself, be aware of overdoing the heavy calorie items such as gravy and dessert. If you absolutely have to try a loved ones food dish then simply eat (and enjoy) these foods (made with love) under control.
2) I suggest opting for more of the white meat on the turkey combining it with both the dark meat and skin.
3) Opt for more sweet potatoes or squash and controlling the portions of the white potatoes, breads, and stuffing.
4) Go lighter on the gravy.
5) Go lighter on the Cranberry Sauce.
6) Fill up on more green veggies and be aware of what it’s cooked with.
7) Avoid the multiple glasses of wine.
8) Control the portion of dessert. I like to use smaller pieces so I can try everything.
9) Control the peer pressure from loved ones to continue eating.
10) Appreciate the meal you ate and the time you spent with loved ones. These are precious moments.
11) Most importantly – have fun and trust yourself. If things didn’t go according to plan, don’t beat yourself up. Simply get back on plan the next day and everything else will take care of itself.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!