As I am well into my 2nd Trimester, I’m now getting in better tune with my body and recognizing that taking care of myself both internally and externally is incredibly important for a strong pregnancy and healthy baby. One important topic that I want to address, because it is often overlooked, is Teeth and Gum Heath during pregnancy.
Because pregnancy causes a number of hormonal changes that can increase the risk of developing gum disease, which can in turn, directly affect the health of the baby.
Mouth and gum infections can spread quickly and rapidly entering the blood stream almost immediately so it’s very important we take the precautionary measures to prevent this.
Here are some tips:
1. Brush and Floss 2-3 times per day
2. If you experience morning sickness rinse your mouth out thoroughly and brush your teeth after vomiting.
3. Book an appointment with your Dentist in your 2nd trimester – be sure to mention that you are pregnant so no X-rays or extensive procedures are performed.
4. As a precautionary measure, I would also avoid having a cleaning or check-up in your 1st trimester or the middle of your 3rd trimester because these are critical times in your baby’s development and it’s best to avoid exposing yourself to procedures that can affect this.
5. Avoid sugary snacks
6. The more you eat or snack, the more often you should brush and floss
I can’t wait to share more of my STRONG LIKE MOMMY e-book with you all 🙂