Okay Canadian Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I’m receiving multiple inquiries on nutrition advice.
For my clients that are on plan and cannot substitute a ‘cheat day’ this weekend, here are some tips that will help get you through the tempting meals and family members that will attempt to throw you off:
1) Watch the portion sizes. If you have your food scale – great! Measure your protein and carbs accordingly.
2) Go for the white meat on the turkey. Not the dark meat.
3) Opt for sweet potatoes or squash rather than white potatoes and stuffing (I know, this one will be difficult).
4) Go light on the gravy if you must use it.
5) Try to avoid cranberry sauce as the sugar content might be too high
6) Fill up on all the green veggies but watch what they are cooked in
7) Avoid the glass (or glasses) of wine.
8) Avoid peer pressure from family members to eat more.
9) Appreciate the meal that you just had and avoid the dessert. This can be an additional 400-600 calories.
I hope that helps! Happy Canadian Thanksgiving everyone!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and Vince, too!